For more information

How to get legal help

For legal help or advice, you can contact a lawyer or community legal clinic. Across Ontario, community legal clinics give free legal help to tenants who have low incomes. To find the nearest community legal clinic, go to Legal Aid Ontario’s website at Or call Legal Aid Ontario:

Toll-free: 1-800-668-8258

TTY use Bell’s Relay Service: 1-800-855-0511

You may also be able to get legal help from Pro Bono Ontario‘s free legal advice hotline at 1-855-255-7256.

You can get information from the Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA) at 1-800-263-1139 or

You can also look in the CLEO resource called Getting Legal Help: A Directory of Community Legal Clinics in Ontario.

CLEO’s Steps to Justice website has step-by-step information about common legal problems, including housing law. Visit

How to contact the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)

You can contact the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) for general information, but the LTB cannot give you legal advice. The LTB’s phone number is 1-888-332-3234 and its website address is You can also read the LTB’s brochure called Rules about Care Homes.

Other resources

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) produced this resource. We also have other resources that you may find useful if you live or work in a care home. These include resources on:

  • Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits (CPP-D)
  • Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
  • powers of attorney
  • the rights of people who live in long-term care homes
  • home and community care support services (HCCSS)
  • elder abuse
  • eviction and rent increases

You can read and print these resources from this website or see the, Order Publications page to find out how to order them for free.

Previous page