COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Do you want to sponsor your family to join you in Canada? (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What happens after the people I sponsor arrive in Canada?

For some years after they arrive, you must support them by making sure they have things such as housing, clothes, and food, or the money to pay for these things. This is called a sponsorship undertaking.

As a sponsor, you must support your parents or grandparents for 20 years. For a spouse or partner it is 3 years. For children it is between 3 and 10 years, depending on the age of your child. Under Canadian family law, after a sponsorship ends, you may still be responsible for financial support of your partner or child.