COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Do you want to sponsor your family to join you in Canada? (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Who can I sponsor?

You can sponsor your spouse. This is the person you are legally married to. Your spouse can be the same sex as you or the opposite sex.

In many cases, you can sponsor your common-law partner. Your partner can be the same sex as you or the opposite sex. This is a person you have lived with for at least one year and have a "marriage-like relationship" with. There are many different ways to show that a relationship is marriage-like. For example, you may have a child together or you may have a shared bank account or assets. Get legal advice.

You may be able to sponsor your parents and grandparents but only a limited number of people can apply each year. Parents and grandparents can also apply for a Super Visa to come to Canada as visitors. The Super Visa is good for up to 10 years. It lets parents and grandparents stay for up to 2 years each time they visit. It does not allow them to become permanent residents.

You can sponsor your children who are under 22 years old if they are not married or living with a partner. If they are 22 years or older, you can sponsor them if they are not able to support themselves financially because of a physical or mental condition. But you can do this only if you have supported them since before age 22.

Get legal advice if your children do not meet these conditions, or if you want to sponsor someone else or someone who is already in Canada. Also get legal advice if you do not earn as much money as the income guidelines say you should.

If you have a spouse, partner, or child at the time you become a permanent resident, you must tell immigration authorities by including them in your application forms. If you do not, you may not be able to sponsor them later unless you qualify for an exception to the rules. You could also have problems with your own status in Canada. Get legal advice.