COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Your credit report

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if my credit report has wrong information?

If you think that your credit report has information that is wrong or should not be there, you have the right to tell the credit reporting agency to correct or remove it.

The law says that the agency must reply to you and tell you what it is doing about it.

You can also give the agency a letter or other written information to keep with your credit file if you disagree with something that has been included in your report.

If the agency does not correct the information, you can complain to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

You can file your complaint in writing or by going to and clicking on "How to file a complaint".

Ministry staff will decide if the information in your credit report is wrong or does not follow the rules of the Consumer Reporting Act.

The Ministry can order the credit reporting agency to correct or remove the information or not allow people to see it. The Ministry can also fine the agency or stop it from doing business.

To contact the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services:

Toll-free: 1-800-889-9768

Toronto area: 416-326-8800

TTY Toll-free: 1-877-666-6545

TTY Toronto area: 416-229-6086

Fax: 416-326-8665



Mailing Address:

Consumer Services Operations Division
77 Wellesley Street West,
Box 450
Toronto, ON M7A 2J6