COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Harassment and discrimination

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What can I do about harassment?

  • Tell your landlord there is a problem and that you want it to stop. Keep notes about the harassment. If the harassment continues, send a letter or email to the landlord. Keep a copy.
  • Ask other tenants if they are also being harassed. You might be better able to solve these problems if tenants work together.
  • Complain to the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU). Call 1-888-772-9277 or go to their website at landlord-or-tenant.
  • Call the police. If the situation is urgent or you feel unsafe, call 911.
  • Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board. You should do this within one year of when the harassment happened. It is best to get legal advice. You can speak to a lawyer at a community legal clinic by calling Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258 or